Sunday, December 7, 2008

Life with a teenager

It seems like only yesterday that I was a teenager and knew everything and now I am living with one. One that I have raised partly since he was five and yet one that is not wholly mine. It is interesting navigating the waters. How much freedom do you give them? You want them to trust their own guidance system but what do you do when it is entirely at odds with what you are trying to accomplish. How many times can you ask them nicely to clean off the top of the dresser. The key is to finding your place of alignment and not allowing their actions to influence how you feel. To this end I am going to try and keep a book of positive aspects things that I appreciate and things that I am grateful for. When I am feeling frustration turning it around and pivoting. Maybe, just maybe I will survive my step-son's teen years.

No comments: