Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stuck in an Eddy

Life sure speeds up when the baby starts crawling. All of a sudden your home feels like a land mine of dropped change, food, and dog hair. I had myself in quite a tiff and finally decided that children all over the world have survived and even gained strong immune systems from the time spent in the muck. So I let it go and am going easy on myself. This has also led me to a another round of purging of the household's nick knacks. I wonder how I seem to acquire so much stuff. My new goal is to think thru every single purchase I make; is it necessary, do I really need it, and is it the quality that I desire. If it doesn't pass muster then I move on. I have been following the simple living movement after reading an article in an old Oprah magazine. It isn't about living in a hole in the ground or going without, it is more about appreciation of what you do have and what you truly enjoy. I have been walking thru my house and asking myself if I could only take one tote with me what would I take. Do these things bring me joy or just take more time. Do you realize that we spend more time now washing clothes then the olden days. It is because clothing is so cheap that we just buy more and more of it. I like the french concept of key pieces of high quality. Maybe its the sheer enormity of laundry in my home. Speaking of which...time to crank the stereo and fold some clothes.

No comments: