Monday, February 15, 2010

The Closet

Cleaning out your closet and organizing it can bring new life into a tired wardrobe. This weekend I helped a friend purge. We started with skirts and moved thru each clothing item. The result was a clearer space and the ability to see what holes she had in her closet.

Step One: Pull out each type of clothing ie skirts, pants, etc.

Step Two: Asses each item for the following, is it still in style or is it a classic style? Does it have stains or worn looking?

Step Three: Create 3 piles; Keep, Discard, and Clean.

Step Four: After sorting and sifting, take a moment to asses what different aspects of your lifestyle does your wardrobe need to fulfill. Take the time to think about whether you have grown out of your past style. Are you still trying to look 19?

Step Five: Create A Book of Style! This is fun. I check out local libraries for discarded fashion magazines. When I see something I like a rip the page out. I use a 3 ring binder and plastic sheet protector's. As it fills I get a sense of what I want to create. By looking at what we are drawn to and then looking at our closet we see where we need to fill the gaps or if we are merely kidding ourselves of what are style really is.

Step Six: Determine what your Style Basics are, this is different for everyone. I have purchased things because I thought they were staples but didn't fit my lifestyle. Live and Learn.

My Wardrobe Basics include:
Straight legged dark wash Jeans
Black Tank top
Long Skirt
Short Skirt
Basic long sleeve t-shirts
Cashmere Cardigan
Linen Pants (james perse makes the best)
Cute Sweatshirt type jacket (again I like James Perse
A flannel
Black Yoga Pants
Bra-Tanks (they go under everything) I like the ones from Wal-mart.


Step Seven: HAVE FUN

No comments: